What is Mobile Web Analytics?
Mobile Analytics is no different from Web Analytics other then here we study the user behavior in the WAP website (Mobile Website) using data collected from the mobile users (Data such as visitor information, carrier information mobile used and so on..) to increase ROI through Mobile Users and to target the specific carriers or segmented Users.
Why Mobile Analytics? and How will it be useful?
Insights or Gold in Avinash’s term extracted through the data collected can be used to target the users to enhance and to helps in targeting the segmented users, here is more to say how mobile analytics would be helpful,
- Improve a WAP website or understanding of website architecture.
- Mobile campaign’s audience.
- Mobile Advertising
- Mobile Search Marketing
- Text Campaigns
What do we measure?
Different vendors has claims to measure different metrics, some of the useful and most commonly measured metrics are
- Visitor Identification
- Mobile specific information
- Mobile phone device
- Mobile network operator
- Country and Language
How do we Measure?
hmmm this is where the implementation jumps in, which I am going to write it in my next blog post.
Who are the players/vendors?
1. Omniture – With the release of SiteCatalyst 14.1, it has introduced mobile analytics capabilities which can measure the performance of mobile marketing campaigns, Omniture can measure,
1. Visitor Identification
2. Mobile Device Reporting
3. Mobile-Specific Collection Enhancements
4. Geo-location and Carrier Identification
2. Bango – To provide the highest levels of accuracy, Bango provides two different techniques for capturing mobile metrics – link tracking for campaign analysis and page tracking for site analysis.
Features and benefits
- Site analysis – measure and improve your website for mobile traffic
- Campaign analysis – measure your ROI using independent data
- Unique visitors – how many people are visiting your site?
- Geo-locate your visitors by country
- Operator identification – including virtual networks (e.g. Boost)
- Handset information – make, model and features
- Compare goals against your campaigns and web pages
Source – MarketWatch
3. Amethon – A server side mobile analytics solution that sniffs network packets to track 100% of the http packets traveling between the handset and the mobile web server building real time analytics.
- Bandwidth (total, average per visit, total per file type)
- Hits (average per visit, number of downloads, page view breakdown)
- Visits (entry page, average duration, click paths, referring search engine)
- Visitors (browser type, user agent, operating system)
- Handsets (make, model, screen resolution)
- Mobile Operator (country of origin, operator name)
- Geo Location (country of origin, RDNS lookup)
Source – Wiki – Mobile Analytics
4. http://blog.sitestat.com/ – an another web analtyics service provider
5. Wapalizer - http://wapalizer.com/home/
6. Mobilytics - http://www.mobilytics.net/
7. http://mobilestats.co.uk/ – an another vendor which provides mobile stats
I will write about the Mobile Implementation in my next blog post.
Updated – 20080929
Found another mobile tracking tool
Update – 20091104
9. ADMob.com – AdMob connects people who want to buy ads with people who want to monetize their mobile traffic through the AdMob Marketplace. We make advertising and publishing easy with solutions and tools to meet your unique needs.